From:
Beth Fitzpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:11:26 -0700
Hi all,

I agree with Rachel that this discussion is off-topic and not much energy
should be wasted on it.  However, when I first read the post with the link
last night I was very upset and can't not say something.  I'm sorry to
sound aggressive or step on any toes, but it is troubling to me with
everything going on in today's world and all of the LEGITIMATE issues that
involve our babies needing advocates for some to browse through an article
(probably only a SINGLE one) and leave some of the ignorant sounding
remarks that are being posted about this issue.   I think we need to not
read too much into things like this.  The article had nothing to do with
being anti-kangaroo care or separating mothers and babies for the sake of
"medical intervention based on misguided research", or if undermining a
breast-feeding relationship.  How ridiculous!  Reading the article myself,
I don't know where anyone could possibly even get the idea that it would
become standard practice for normal babies after birth.  How ridiculous,
again!  This is innovative, not misguided, research, that one day MAY help
REDUCE some of the misery of these families and the babies
themselves.  These babies usually are for all intents and purposes
"vegetables".  The don't nurse of even take a bottle.  I'm sure any mother
in this situation would rather never nurse that baby a single day and have
her be more functional, through ANY means necessary to make that happen,
than to watch their severely brain-damaged child have 200 seizures a day
and never leave the hospital and finally die 10 months later.  Let's stay
focused on the real issues and not go attacking new research just because
we are so programmed into believing that anything outside of a nice
picture-perfect home birth is unnecessary intervention.  Reality
check.  This treatment may never come to pass, but how dare people start
bad-mouthing just the prospect.

Beth, a now irritated and saddened mother of 6, including 23 month old
nursling
"When in despair, remember that all through history the way of truth and
love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time
they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall." Gandhi