From:
Shirley Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:52:35 -0700
Dear Beth,

The mother with axillary breast tissue will probably encounter some
engorgement in the axilla.  This will settle over the first two weeks just
like in a mother who chooses not to breastfeed.

Could she have any other problems? Unlikely.  Mastitis is most frequently
caused by staphlococcus that has gotten into the breast from a cracked or
traumatized nipple. I don't think that these accessory glands are connected
to the ductal system of the main breast as these women do not note the
cyclic breastfeeding (ie full, empty, full and so on) changes you would
expect with a lactating breast.  Their problems are only during the first
weeks after delivery afterwhich they involute.   So if there is no
connection to the nipple, there is little opportunity for mastitis.

Some of these women have a small pore that will let out a little milk,
overlying the mass.  If it is there, the mother might use it to try to
express a little milk if she is experiencing discomfort.

The axillary tissue behaves like other breast tissue.  This area should be
part of her regular breast examination and if she has a mammogram, a note
should be make to the radiologist of the axillary tissue.

There is not a lot of information in this area but I would like to see which
references this physician can cite for his advice.

Shirley Gross

M. Shirley Gross M.D.,C.M., C.C.F.P., I.B.C.L.C.
Director, Edmonton Breastfeeding Clinic
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
E mail at  <  [log in to unmask]  >