From:
Catherine W Genna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 23:51:23 EDT
I have seen a connection between infertility and hypoplastic breasts - absence
of mammary tissue that makes the breast small and tubular (thin, the base of the
breast only covers 2 or 3 ribs....).  Some of my adoptive nursing moms who have
never conceived have had clear mammary hypoplasia, they were without exception
unable to make more than a few drops of milk.  I have seen a few less marked
cases, one that stands out was a mom who was unable to conceive for 7 years, had
an uneventful pregnancy, and was then unable to produce enough milk despite
proper management/suckling/pumping, and chose to wean to formula rather than use
an SNS or complement with bottles.  Lawrence discusses mammary hypoplasia as a
birth defect, the same teratogenic event could also affect the female fetus's
reproductive system, linking infertility and inability to produce milk.  Also,
hormonal problems that would preclude conception could prevent breast
development or galactogenesis as well.  It makes perfect sense theoretically.
        Sheehan's syndrome (pituitary infarction) occurs with VERY severe
postpartum hemhorrage, not the garden variety 1 quart of blood lost.
Homeostasis only goes so far, folks, then the body's own protective mechanisms
can cause dire harm- anaphylactic (allergic) or hypovolemic (loss-of-blood
volume) shock are cases in point.  This is when our physician colleagues are
invaluable!
Catherine Watson Genna, IBCLC