From:
SheddChar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 08:41:31 EDT
This is a big problem at many hopspitals.  Get Ruth Lawarence 's book and look
under infections  and when to isolate and take it to the doctors.  We have a
couple of pediatricians that just know that bad things will happen because the
mother could be septic.  I'm trying to get them to look at each case
individually and to involve the OB's and not just let the Peds or the staff
nurses decide that the mother is contagious.  The baby should not be sent to
Nursery because the baby like was mentioned has already  been exposed.  This
debate will continue until we are all on the same page working for the good of
mom and baby.  I would like to see more dialog on this topic because you just
can't mandate something like this.
Charlene Shedd RN IBCLC
Plymouth, Michigan