From:
Leslie Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 11:38:24 -0500
Hi All,
  Carla, I have copies of six publications by Dr. Neifert and in none
did I find that quote. So, I would say it is in a brand new publication
of hers or just in that online instance.
  Katie, well said. I agree that words and/or comments about
breastfeeding advocates should never stop us. I know I'm not a fanatic
and instances such as I just posted under postive thing (an MD saying
the exact same thing I had advised this mom) helps me to know that I am
conveying the right information and also helps the mom to know that it
is just not my opinion. There are lots of wonderful papers on watching
your language to not come off as 'over the line' if you will and realize
also that people who attack back with such strong and insulting words,
have issues of their own.
  Julie Stock (Breastfeeding Answer Book) spoke at the KY LLL Area
Conference in 1994 and she mentioned during her presentation (The
Importance of Getting Off to a Good Start), the results of a study done
in her hospital, the following statistics -
   2% of mothers initiating breastfeeding cannot produce milk
   2% of babies cannot nurse (suck)
   (maybe) 1% of mothers cannot let down milk produced
  Now as to the number of women studied, time period of the study, and
how the information was obtained (clinical vs mother stating
information) and so on, I do not know. Nor do I know if, this is/was
part of clinical/research study or just an informal hospital
questionaire or study.

Leslie Ward
Vine Grove, KY