From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 13:49:48 -0500
>By contrast, my 90 year old mother-in-law tells me that she had trouble
>from the very beginning.  After much discussion and watching how I
>managed bf with my three, she has concluded that the hospital practices
>of the 20's and early 30's contributed much to her problem.  Her babies
>were kept in the central nursery all night and only brought to her q 4h
>during waking hours.  She remained in the hospital for 10 days each
>time.

ok, ok, i'll be the first to admit there is lots of variation -- my own
maternal grandmother was a "doula" in Kansas from around 1900-1940, and she
went along with the doc to help with births, which were all done at home,
and helped the mother for up to a week afterwards; my mother was her
youngest child (of 8 or 10), born in 1920, and all my aunts and uncles and
mother were nursed for two years each, give or take a few months, with no
tandem nursing and that was pretty standard -- these were rural farm folks
and small town folks

kathy dettwyler, pretending to be carol brussel