From:
anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:00:30 -0400
On the issue of  breastmilk insufficiency, I think that we really do not
know. There may some good reasons for what seems to be  a significiant group
of women who just do not have enough milk or even none at all. These reasons
include: the advances in successful treatments  for infertility, pushing the
age for first conceptions, more very preterms surviving, breast surgeries,
women having pregnancies after breast cancer (not done in the past), women
who have significiant hormonal problems that affected breast development but
can conceive with a lot of help, birth intervention (some unneccessary, some
that save lives). What % of the population is having problems conceiving?.
Is this an increase from the past? Are there some of the same etiologies
involved (delayed conceptions). We don't know the answers yet. But it is
important that we recognize that more research is needed. Look how much time
and money have been spent on infertility. What makes us think that if it
takes a woman 10 years and many IVF attempts that lactation will just
happen.  A woman just called me with a history of 5 failed IVF attempts, 40
years old, never had a regular period, no AP breast changes, gestational
diabetes, maybe PCOS. She was shocked to be in the situation of no apparent
milk supply. (That's why I got the call). She was doing everyting "right"
Nursing constantly- still no milk. Advice form everyone she has come in
contact with, including medical, is that it's natural-everyone has milk.
Maybe she can be assisted to have a part or even full supply.Or maybe not,
despite all our good work. Let's not just quess on this. And let's not give
woman the impression that maybe they just didn't try hard enough. Ann
Anderson, RN,IBCLC NJ