From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 07:35:18 -0500
>Did you know that:
>"Breast milk is a poor source of vitamin D, but the advent of fortified baby
>formula has all but eliminated rickets in this country"

Sadly, there's no misstatement here.  Breastmilk is an adequate source of
vitamin D... *provided* one leads a certain kind of life.  For the totally
indoor baby, it's not good enough.  Sigh.  The vitamin D in formula is in
gross enough amounts to allow babies to live as indoor daycare larvae and
still get enough.  So yeah, you have to call breastmilk the poorer of the
two sources.  What *utterly* mystifies me is why docs aren't at all
concerned about the storage bin lives the babies are living who get rickets
because they're breastfed.  I guess it's because they're just kids and
therefore not really worth the time...

Diane, who remembers standing in the snow with her snowsuited infant 21
years ago, holding him face-up to let daylight fall on him, and feeling
vaguely idiotic doing it.  What excellent book had I read that encouraged me
to do that?  The thin blue WAB?  Don't remember.  But it sure needs a
revival.