From:
Tricia Shamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 2015 18:14:52 +0000
I just want to say that  - Julie, I'm in complete agreement with you on this topic. Although, I do find that sometimes people will become offended at the mere mention of breastfeeding (as if advocating for breastfeeding means that we are somehow inherently being mean to women who couldn't or wouldn't breastfeed) which is also untrue and unfair. I do disagree with the sentiment expressed by some LC's that you can't "make" someone feel guilty about not breastfeeding. Yes, you can. I've seen many LC's do it. Saying that we aren't responsible for how people choose to react attempts to subvert responsibility from the person saying the cruel thing. LC's, if you aren't harsh or cruel in the things that you say, then I'm not talking about you. But I think we all can think of a nurse, doctor or lactation consultant whose counseling skills are shall we say sub-par?

If you say something racist to someone - is it there fault for being offended? It's like calling someone a derogatory name and then saying that they didn't have to react emotionally. I mean come on, really? If you say something hurtful and a person feels hurt, that's a normal reaction. I would recommend that we always attempt to keep the conversation positive and not fall into the temptation of negativity, even when people are negative towards us or breastfeeding. We need to take the higher road, if you let yourself get pulled down to their level, it only gives them permission to dismiss everything you say.
As LC's, I think that often we seen in a very prejudiced and negative light by many in our society (in the USA). If you think it's unfair that we have to work harder and behave better than everyone else to be taken seriously, well unfortunately that's just the way it is. Life is unfair. Yes, we do need to work harder, be smarter, be nicer than everyone else in healthcare to be respected. Getting negative is just going to validate all of the assumptions they are making about you. Before we have a pity party for ourselves, just keep in mind that what we experience is probably only a very small sample of what many minorities go through on a daily basis, so let's not feel too sorry for ourselves here. But over time, if we do continue to stay positive and professional and advocate for breastfeeding we will earn respect and change hearts and minds. What other option is there? Getting negative doesn't work. It's counterproductive.

I have no problem with the word "deserve." But maybe I'm missing something. I do feel that adequate breastfeeding support is part of women's reproductive rights. We have the right to correct information and adequate support! We do deserve this and one of the reasons we don't get it is the inequity that exists in healthcare for women in this country. Okay, putting soapbox away now...
Tricia Shamblin, RN, BSN, IBCLC