From:
Linda Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2008 09:59:11 -0500
Jacqui,

     I just wanted to add one other thing that I havent seen mentioned yet.
You wrote that his urine smells like asparagus?  So, I googled that and came
up with the following:

Urine odor is related to the volume and concentration of a variety of
chemicals excreted by the kidney. Normally, diluted urine doesn't have much
odor. If you're dehydrated and your urine becomes highly concentrated, it
can have a strong ammonia smell. Many foods and medications - such as
asparagus or certain vitamins - also can affect the odor of urine.

Most changes in urine odor are temporary and don't indicate serious illness.
But sometimes an unusual urine odor can be associated with an underlying
medical condition, such as a urinary tract infection. If you're concerned
about the odor of your urine, talk to your doctor.

Urine odor	 Potential medical causes
Strong ammonia smell	 Not enough fluids, dehydration
Foul smelling	 Bacterial infection of the kidneys or bladder
Sweet smelling	 Uncontrolled diabetes
Musty smelling	 Liver disease; phenylketonuria, a rare, inherited metabolic
condition
Maple syrup smell	 Maple sugar urine disease, a rare, inherited
metabolic disorder

Just something to keep your eye on.  The only thing I could find about an
asparagus smell had to do with mom eating asparagus.

But other than that, I totally agree that you need to follow your instinct
and watch your whole baby.

Linda Hill RN, IBCLC
Austin,TX