Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:03:36 +0000
>One of the hospitals in town recently implemented a new hypoglycemia
>protocol.  EVERY baby has a bedside glucose checked at 30 MINUTES OF
>AGE, and if it is <40 they must have an ENTIRE OUNCE (30cc) of formula.
>Approximately 25% of babies are receiving this.

Aaaaaaagh.

No wonder you are despairing, Kathy.....I can honestly say that
nowhere in the UK is this done. There would not be the staff to do
the checking, and no one would think this was useful. In any case,
how are they checking the levels? Accurately?

>the nurse who accuses them of
>not putting the welfare of the babies before concerns about sabatoging
>breastfeeding!!

It's sabotaging infant health, not breastfeeding per se.

This is an intervention, and they should have an evidence base before
implementing it.

>Mostly I am interested in knowing if this is happening anywhere
>else...if not, I can add that noone else in the WORLD is doing this!

Hmmmm.....won't they be thrilled they are at the cutting edge of
medical advances, then?

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, UK