From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 14:32:40 +0900
 Baby weighed 5-10 at birth and is thriving beautifully;
>no problems at all with nursing.  The problem this mom is having is that the
>baby passes a tremendous amount of small stools of normal color and
>consistency for a breastfed baby.  She reports that in a typical 24 hour
>period the baby soils at least 20 diapers.  the baby has thus developed a
>terribly sore bottom so every time she has a BM she wakens needing to be
>changed.  Pedi had mom eliminate dairy from her diet, to no avail, caffeine
>{admittedly a far reach}, to no avail, and finally had mom give baby one
>bottle of soy formula which, guess what...worked wonders!  The baby after one
>bottle had only four good sized BM's in the next 24 hour period.

Sue,
This sounds like it might be a case of oversupply to me. Does baby also
have lots (>10) wet nappies per 24 hours also? If baby is getting an
oversupply, he may have lactose overload (causing colicky sypmtoms, wind in
the bowel, frequent acid stools, which burn the bottom). Soy formula has no
lactose so would settle this down, but is not the best long-term solution.
Is baby generally miserable and wanting to feed frequently? If this all
fits, she may need to work on reducing supply - one side per feed, or one
side per set time period (like 3 hours), etc to reduce amount of milk going
through.

How long did mum try the dairy-free diet? It needs at least 2 weeks, or
even more to see a difference if this is the problem. Was dairy suspect
already? And was this why soy formula was used instead of cow's milk-based?
It could still be an intolerance problem, perhaps even some other type of
food.

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]