From:
beth mcmillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:24:13 -0500
Hi All,

First of all thanks so much for your responses - I have to say they were varied and interesting...........and all entirely possible.

Got a call from the mom yesterday evening, they had gone to a mom and baby group in the am and he latched there just as he had previously when around other nursing babes - but it was a 'funny biting suck'.  They went in the pm for CST and the therapist thought she felt tightness in the upper jaw and one hip.........they went home and the mom was so nervous that it 'wouldn't work' that she didn't even think of offering until just before bedtime and he did it again, latched happily but 'funny' again.  When I spoke to her this am she told me he woke at 10pm and nursed w/o incident and has been ever since, not even a hint of a bite after a 12 day nursing strike with only 3 latches during the entire 12 days and almost a month of increasingly severe biting.  He has nursed several times, like 5 or 6, in the last 12 hours.  The latch though is very different - not a smooth jaw motion as it was prior to the biting/strike but a jerky rhythm and though mom can't hear a click it feels clicky or at least that is how she described it to me.  They are going back for more CST to see what that does.  Mom is over the moon with happiness that he is back at the breast and they seem to be moving on like it never happened (at least so far) but I still am wondering........What the heck?  Did CST fix this?  Why is he jerky now?  Will he 'remember' how to BF or was there some mystery damage to his jaw that is resolving due to treatment?

Anyway interesting stuff and I thought I'd let you all know.  Kinda ties into the discussions re: Bucket List and the evidence based-ness of CST.......to me it is a weird and wonderful thing that seems to work in an awful lot of cases even though it "shouldn't", according to many (if you know what I mean).

thanks
beth

Beth McMillan BCS IBCLC LLLL