From:
Fiona Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:01:35 -0500

> Fiona, what kind of pump is she using and what are the settings?
> There can be bleeding from within the breast if the suction is too
> high on a pump.
> How far postpartum is she?  When a woman only pumps they tend to loss
> some of their supply.  It is too bad that there are some women who
> will only pump and not bring their babies to the breast.  She may need
> a galactagogue to assist her

This woman's baby had severe oral issues after being deep suctioned at
birth due to meconium.  She deeply regrets not being able to nurse him,
but her son has only JUST moved onto a "regular" bottle after using a
Haberman for about 12 months.  He is also only JUST starting solids as
his oral aversions have limited him in a big way on that level too.  She
did work with an IBCLC for quite some time on trying to get him nursing
to no avail.  She has tried every trick I know of and then some.  I
think this was one which was "not meant to be"...though she hopes that
perhaps he might be interested in nursing when she eventually has a #2
someday.  ;-)

Her son is about 14 mos and she uses a few different pumps, including a
Medela PISA, PIS, Symphony, and Ameda Purely Yours depending on the
occasion and where she is.  I think she MAINLY uses the Symphony.  I wll
mention the high suction as a possibility.  But she has been pumping for
a long time WIHTOUT bleeding so not sure how that would link in all of a
sudden unless there was damage to the breast during the plugged duct
episode?  She takes lecithin but her production has been more than
adequate so she doesn't take any galactogogues at the moment.  I mean,
production has gone down, but she is still producing ample for his needs
and he IS 14 mos so not needing as much now, with solids, as he did as a
newborn.  :-)

Thanks for the answer!
Fio