From:
Ann Calandro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 22:18:47 -0400
Kathy D. asked about the mom on cocaine, and the possibility that she may
put juice of coca cola in the baby's bottle. This reminded me of what our
NNP told me at lunch the other day. This is a true story.  Our Neonatal
Nurse  Practitioner, who is around 50, had her only child as a teenager in
New Orleans.  The baby could not keep down any formula whatsover.  The old
family doctor told our NNP to feed the baby Coca Cola and it would stay
down.  She did and it did.  She fed the baby on Coca Cola for the first
year.  The "child" is an adult now and is doing okay.  Amazingly adaptable,
humans.  The NNP is horrified now of what she did and is a big advocate of
breastfeeding, but she was young and didn't know what else to do.

Another story while I am telling.  The breastfeeding coordinator here in SC
says that her grandmother remembers coming home from school in first grade
and breastfeeding, and then smoking a cigarette after that.  At the age of
6. True story too!

Ann Calandro,RNC,IBCLC