Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 11:13:12 EST
Amy says,
***********************************

I too know of many female docs who tell moms not to respond to every cry
**********************************

And lest we think "doc" in this equation, there are millions of female RNs &
LPNs that tell mothers not to let the babies control them -- that the baby is
just being manipulative, and if mom picks them up too much they'll be spoiled.
 Grandmothers too.  Aunts, cousins, sisters, girlfriends....you name it.

What's funny is those self same RNs that insist that the baby not be picked
up every time it cries are really swift to take the crying baby out of the
nursery if the paci doesn't soothe and rush it in to mom -- "Here, he's STARVING.
He's been crying for 10 minutes.  Yes, I know you just fed him 30 minutes
ago, but you must not have enough because he's starving again."

Why doesn't it ever occur to these folks that these little punkies might just
need mommy???

And if I think about it too long, I'm gonna get up on a soapbox where the air
is waaay thin.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, RLC
Wheaton, Illinois