From:
Ilene Fabisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 2009 13:40:17 -0400
Saw a mom in my WIC office today with a 6mo.  She mostly breastfeeds but
has started college 3days a week (was 5 but baby "missed" her so she cut
back ;-)). Anyway...from birth the baby has been "vomiting" after
breastfeeding. No weight gain issue (but she also uses formula after baby
vomits because she thinks the baby is hungry after vomiting all her milk).
Baby keeps formula down.  I've read in the archives and it seems this is a
familiar pattern...although it mystifies me...if it truly is a CMP allergy why isn't
the formula vomited as well. The formula being used is Good Start (is it not
vomited due to the "comfort proteins"?) Has also reported that baby initially
had some blood in stools when newborn.  States "testing" has been done and
the baby is not allergic to milk (but I'm not sure what that "testing" was). This
has become more of an issue because she is getting family pressure to wean
because the baby only throws up after breastfeeding and she is starting to
feel as if she is harming her baby if the baby throws up only from her milk. She
appears to throw up large amounts (mom took a picture with her cell phone to
show me, LOL) OTOH she states the baby "LOVES her breastmilk".  I assured
her that if it hurt the baby's belly or throat she would not be so anxious to
breastfeed each time and that often babies with reflux just refuse to eat.
So can someone please help with input as to what you think may be going on
and what is causing the reaction to breastmilk.  Is it another allergy other
than CMP that could be causing this?

Ilene Fabisch, IBCLC/RLC