From:
Merrie Rheingans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:38:00 -0500
Dearest Hardworking and Devoted Collegues:

There is evidence-based information regarding the use of breastmilk for
treatment of burns and other wounds.  I have been searching for exact
references for the past month.  Our NICU would like to review this
information as it would apply to use in skin care for the premature
infant.  There is a doctoral student associated with Paula Meier whose
name I have embedded in notes from last years UNM conference, but have
been unable to find. She has been working on infant oral care with
breastmilk. Anyone else catch the name? Many burn units also utilize
breastmilk (banked) for their burn patients.  I am in the process of
contacting Maricopa County Burn Unit, Phx, AZ for specifics.  If anyone
else has more information to contribute, please do so immediately.  I will
post what I find as soon as it comes available.

Thank you,

Merrie J Rheingans, RN, IBCLC
NICU Lactation Program Coordinator
Banner Desert Medical Center
Mesa, AZ

Saving Lives, One Breastfed Baby At A Time!!