From:
Linda Pohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 09:37:48 -0701
Jan and all,

I too have been VERY frusterated lately with doctors that tell moms that
they must wean either temporarily or permanantly  so that they can take a
new, untried medicine, rather than a similar one that has been around long
enough to be known to be compatible with nursing.  After hearing this for
the umpteenth time in the las week from a mom who didn't want to wean, we
talked for a while.

What we finally came up with is that this doctor either didn't know or
didn't care about the importance of her breastfeeding relationship.  Imagine
saying something similar to a man:

        Well, I know that this new drug might cause impotence but, you said
your family          was complete, right?  Besides, you already got your
family and your wife off to a         good start.  And, cuddling is almost
as good as sex anyway.  Marriages turn out         just fine without it all
of the time.  Oh, of course there are other drugs.  No         they don't
have the same side effects, but I can't understand why you are being
so difficult about this.  Science has develpoed some wonderful substitutes

Anyway, just a thought.

Linda Pohl, IBCLC
Phoenix, Arizona USA