From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:51:41 EDT
I have to disagree with some of the arguments I see on why one has to be an
RN IBCLC in order to work in a hospital.
First my disclaimer: I am an RN IBCLC who's job is lactation consultant in  a
hospital.
Some have said that a hospital requires an RN because they are license to
practice in a hospital.  Dietitians, physical therapist, occupational
therapist, social workers, et, et are all licensed to work in hospitals, so that
argument just doesn't hold weight.
Some have said that hospitals require an RN because they will fill them in
for staff.  I am not hired nor trained to be a staff nurse.  My role  is only
as a lactation consultant.
My hospital insisted that my position be filled with someone who was an RN.
:-(
I don't agree with this requirement and I do think being licensed  in the
state as an LC will help along with educating the public.
A staff nurse who pursues her IBCLC but continues as a staff nurse is  a
bonus to a hospital and their mothers which is like other advance certificates
that other professionals add to their credentials.
Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
Boston, MA
PS. I belong to both ILCA and my local  state group.