From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:45:36 -0500
Cathy Genna writes, in response to this question:
"If the baby is not feeding effectively, and that's the likely reason for low supply, I encourage moms to pump right after bf. If the baby is taking pretty much everything mom can make, then I encourage her to pump about 45-60 mins after the feeding, so she can spike her prolactin again and remove milk to stimulate the breast."

I would add that if the baby is taking pretty much everything mom can make, *and* is willing and able to feed effectively again 45-60 minutes later, I encourage mother to skip the pumping and let the baby earn its keep by doing the dreary, tiresome work of stimulating milk supply itself.  The quicker mother and baby can get together without a pump in between them, the happier we (mother, baby and me) all are.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway