From:
"C. Ione Sims" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 08:03:23 -0800
Hi, Barbara. I really empathize with your experiences. I hate it when
moms are drugged and induced and babies are dragged out. When I worked at
the hospital as an L&D nurse, I remember being so frustrated by the
attitude of "pitocin being next to godliness". I think the reason women
are not happy with their "painless births" is that the medical
establishment misses the point. It isn't pain usually that makes or
breaks a birth experience but whether women feel supported and empowered
by their experience.  I often use the example of athletes such as
marathon runners, mountain climbers or such when educating women about
medications in labor. As a culture, we esteem athletes and physical
prowess. We cheer them on, and congratulate them they climb that
mountain, finish that race, etc. Of course, there is some element of
physical discomfort, even pain, in some of these endeavors, but we
wouldn't think of offering them something to numb them out. In fact, we
respect atheletes even more when we know they have overcome some physical
discomfort to acheive the goal.  Why should it be different in labor? The
feeling is so good when we are able to give birth with a clear head and
good support. Also, there are so many things that are routinely done that
make labor unnecessarily painful such as not feeding women, keeping them
attached to monitors, keeping them in bed, etc, and so many
non-pharmacological things that can help such as building confidence in
the process, being with them and giving support, massage, etc.

I guess this is why I feel so deeply about the midwifery philosphy and
model of "with woman care", and why I have bothered to jump all the hoops
necessary to put myself in a position to practice midwifery, and also to
promote it as a standard of care for pregnant women.

Yes, there are women who are not induced, who give birth with minimal or
no interventions. And I am very grateful for my colleagues out there that
are not certified midwives but practice "with woman" care as best they
can, including my LC friends.

Ione Sims, CNM, IBCLC