From:
Françoise Coudray ADJ+ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:17:45 +0200
Hello,

In fact one should "work" on the lactation first, and a double electric pump
as recent as possible will be needed, maybe with the domperidone process (cf
Newman), thus knowing the fact that the end of the treatment is very often
followed by a drop of the lactation;

Also the breast feed; the time is needed, and the mother needs to know that
the first "taking breast" won't be directly successful; maybe a few days
should be taken, Mom and baby in bed, breasts naked but not systematically
proposed, breasts are here; the baby is closed to the mother, in her arms,
and they just have moments of love, moments of cuddles (hope my translation
is good !! in french it is "câlins"); the first goal should maybe: not
"taking breast in mouth" but discovering the area, discovery the body of
Mom; as the Mom could use the breast pump, she will start her lactation, her
breast will smell lightly, then more.... and maybe only a few days of
full-mom-baby-contact could awaken the ability of the baby, to "take the
breast in mouth"; but before, the goal should be discovering the breast,
then discovering their function;

I thought maybe having the bath together, Mom and baby, and cuddle the baby
in the warm water, in foetal position; then approach the baby close to the
breast, not willing the "taking breast in mouth", but discovery the breast,
let the baby reveal his/her capacities of taking breast;

And when there is milk in the breast, a few drops of milk on the areola
should draw the attention of the baby; and a secret: when the mother starts
having milk, the secret to grow up lactation will be to decrease the
quantities gradually of milk of the SNS (or other device) ;

Meanwhile, the baby needs to be fed, of course; time, discussion with the
mother, and your advice, will allow to choose between SNS/DAL or feeding
with a cup (or Soft-cup from Medela) not bottle; and then the mother may:
let her breasts proposed at any time, and use SNS (or else) for the feeding
moments; and try to find the time for the electric pump... not easy...

I have heard of more and more mothers who breastfeeds their adopted babies;
often, they have the time to prepare lactation, but they often have a 6
months old baby, which does not help; a point which is helpful to my mind,
is the small age of the baby, 10 days, this baby can recover its capacities
of succion; but help, technical help, moral help, will be needed; it is a
merveillous project, a project of love, of health, it is a marvellous
gesture ...

Making wishes so that it works,

Françoise Coudray, I relacted myself my twins but it is a very long story;
president of ADJ+ (means Breastfeeding Twins and More)
www.allaitement-jumeaux.com/
www.allaitement-jumeaux.com/expo2001