From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 09:46:24 +1000
To Sonja from New Zealand,
       Yes, there are cases of older babies resuming breastfeeding after an interval of time.  For your little boy, stopping at 11 months and then resuming at 13 months, he at least had a milk supply to go to, as you were breastfeeding the next baby.
      The children in my case series (details below) didn't only remember how to breastfeed - all caused their mothers to *relactate*.  At least ages, of course, a full supply was not an issue.  All of the children were over 12 months, most a lot older (range 12 - 48 months) and were Caucasian - so much for the myth that only other races can do this.  Motivation was lacking in most of the mothers, some of whom were in fact anxious to keep the child weaned.  So, obviously, no one used any pharmaceutical help whatever.  The motivation in all except one case came came from the child.  (This one mother wanted to demonstrate a tube supplemental device at a meeting and asked her toddler to oblige.  The child did, and then decided to resume breastfeeding, anyway.)  The intervals off the breast ranged from 1 week to 4 months.  When I published the six cases, I forgot to include another one, which I published later as part of a subsequent article.  I have reason to believe that these cases are not so uncommon whether there is a breastfeeding culture (family, active in support group).  I sometimes hear of someone who knows someone who ....
      The references, below, should be in the Lactnet Archives, as I listed them with other reports of medication-free relactation.  However, here are the two papers mentioned above, the first under my previous surname of "Phillips". (This paper was later named, jointly with a paper by Kesaree et al, as UNICEF Breastfeeding Paper of the Month in Sept. 1994.)
1) Phillips V:  Relactation in mothers of children over 12 months. J Trop Pediatr 1993 (Feb); 39: 45-48.
2) Thorley V: Relactation: what the exceptions can tell us. Birth Issues 1997; 6(1): 24-29.
     As well as that, I have personal experience of drastically increasing my breastmilk supply during a pregnancy, in a emergency situation.  It never occurred to me, at the time, that I wouldn't be able to because I was pregnant.  I just fed and fed.
                       Cheers,
                              Virginia
                              Virginia Thorley, OAM, IBCLC
                              Brisbane, Australia