Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 03:11:47 EDT
Hi Lactnetters,

It has been a while since I posted and I have the following question:

 I have a mom who has hypotryroidism.  Her baby will be 8 weeks on Friday.
Her thyroxine dosage was increased to 0.2 mg about 6 weeks ago because she
did have a decrease in milk supply and was feeling very tired.  She had been
pumping with the Elite until two weeks ago when she switched to the PY (got
for $100!).  She has been taking Fenugreek 2 caps 3x/day ( I offered her the
suggestions mentioned earlier).  She continues to be concerned about her
supply and I am to the point where I really do not know what to do.  This was
her schedule of feedings in the last 2 days for your review (sorry, but I
also don't know how much information to provide when I need to ask for advice
from this wonderful group!):

2AM - R (15mnts.), L (5) baby fell asleep
3AM - PUMPED (15)
5AM - R(8), L(15), R(15) b asleep
7AM - R(5), L(15)
9AM - 2.5 formula supplementation via bottle after nursing R(10), L(10)
10AM - L(5)
10:30 - baby crying
11AM - R(10)L(20)R(10) asleep
3PM - 2.5 Expressed breastmilk after nursing, R(10), L(20) R(5)
5PM - R(5)
6:30PM - R(10-15),L(15),R(5),L(10)
8:30PM - L(20), R(20) asleep
9:30-1AM BABY SLEPT

This day baby seemed content with the exception of that one morning cry.
************
4:25AM 2.5 Formula supplementation after nursing- R(10)
6:15AM - R(10), L(15), R(5), L(10)
9:30AM - 2.5 Formula via bottle after nursing - R(10),L(10),R(5), L(15)
12NOON - R(20), L(20), R(10)
1:30PM - R(10), L(10)
3:30PM - 2.5 Formula via bottle after nursing - R(8), L(10)
5:45PM - R(20) asleep
6:30PM - R(30), L(30) Baby started acting fussy
7:30PM - 2 Formula via bottle
8:00PM - R(30), L(15) asleep
9:00PM - 2.5 Formula

Sorry about all of this.  I llet the mother borrow my pump over the weekend
so that her mind was satisfied that the she was indeed producing milk.  On
average the baby liked nursing for nourishment during the morning and at
night with approximately 2.5 oz per feeding.  Baby did have times when he
only got .3 oz and was fussy  by Sunday evening so mother was worried that
baby did not get enough.  On Saturday baby came to breast with 14.8 oz as per
weight checks and was supplemented with 2 oz.  He weighs 10 lbs so needs 24.0
oz/day which means he was under by about 7.2 oz. (This little information
tells me that mother may not be producing all the baby needs).  By Sunday he
had 10 oz by noon and may have been hungry by later when I saw the mom again,
but she immediately wanted to give him a bottle because of his crying yet
when I convinced her to offer him her breast. He nursed on both sides and
seemed happy and content.

My feeling is that mother really is not following my instructions and she may
be too quick to offer him a bottle and does not pump consistently to increase
her supply.  Do you have any suggestions for me?

TIA,
Yvonne Bannister
Baby's BestFeeding
Hollister, CA