From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 15:10:47 -0600
To :  Ms. Simms
Re:   Mebendazole(Vermox)

        I swear,  after working months each year on a certain "red book",
I'll be d.....d if one of you LACTNETERS don't always come up with one I've
missed.  With  about 12,000 drugs on the market,  I guess I'll never be
finished.

         Actually,  I need your input,  send me names of drugs you want  added.

TWH

Mebendazole
Trade  =  Vermox

Mebendazole is a typical anthelmintic used to treat whipworm, pinworm,
roundworm, and hookworm.  No data yet exists on the level of transmission of
this drug into human breastmilk.   One study suggests that in one patient,
the milk supply was seriously decreased by this medication,  but it is
unsubstantiated.  Less than 2-9% of the oral dose is absorbed systemically,
most of the medication is sequestered in the gut.  Peak maternal plasma
level occurs in 2-4 hrs,  and has been reported be be 0.03- 0.08
micrograms/ml.   The drug is reported to be highly protein bound.  The drug
is indicated for patients 2 years and above in age.

Considering the poor absorption and high protein binding,  it is unlikely to
be transmitted to the infant in clinically significant concentrations.
Observe for transient abdominal pain and diarrhea.   Due to reported
fetotoxicity,  do not use in pregnant women.