Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:23:23 -0400
 It is definitely not the case that all probiotics are GMO. It is the case, however, that most "non-dairy" probiotics actually were originally cultured on dairy, but can claim to be non-dairy since they are so far removed as to be "dairy-free". It is very difficult to find a truly "dairy-sourced-free" probiotic. It is also true that it is becoming more and more confusing to know which companies are trustworthy. This is not because supplements are unregulated, however. It is because the larger companies are buying up the smaller companies, with the long-term goal of pushing through more regulation (the US government is the friend of BIg Pharma--the FDA voted in favor of CODEX, not against it, even though US law would have meant voting against it). The intention is to eliminate the smaller, typically far more ethical companies, as more "regulation" would make it impossible for all but the large pharmaceutical companies to market herbs and supplements. (I personally have no desire to buy herbs from any of them). Once there is a market for anything, big business wants the control. The same thing has happened in the organic foods industry and is happening in the "greenwashing" of some of the largest environmental polluters.

I agree with Katherine--we should not need probiotocs in babies (nor in adults), but we have tampered not only with our DNA and with our cellular memories, but with our structure and function and with the environment (do people really have a sense of how enormously polluted the world is??) We want to preserve breastfeeding as the last pure act, but it is far from that. Human milk is perfect by design, certainly magical, but even human milk cannot hold the line against a toxic world and poisonous diets, not to mention the stresses of medicalized birth.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC