From:
Johanna Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:44:23 -0600
Karen wrote:

 "At the birth center where my daughter was born they take the formula
out
of the discharge packs and donate it to the local food bank (and then
give the moms
the little diaper bag it came in).  Just because there are moms out
there who chose not to breast feed doesn't mean that their children
should be hungry."

They should NOT be giving out any discharge packs no matter what they
take out of them.  This is a violation of the Code, they should be
reported to their professional organization, and the hospital ethics
board!  I guess the moms who take them provide free advertising for the
ABM co.

Again, any woman in the US who needs to visit a food shelf, should
qualify for WIC.  Also, homeless women and children in the US face the
same conditions many women and children in Third World countries face.
It is not safe to provide ABM for these children.  Thank you Heather for
saying it so eloquently.

Johanna Berger, LSW
Breastfeeding Counselor
Bala Cynwyd, PA