From:
Jenny Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 22:30:34 -0400
Hello all!Sorry if I've double posted.  I thought that in light of Betsey
Hart's latest diatribe, as well as the Dispatch article, that it would be
appropriate to share the story of one mom I saw today.  "Ella"  is one of
my WIC clients.  I first met her 3 years ago when I was a brand new peer-
counselor.  She came in about 6 months into her second pregnancy.  As we
were talking about breastfeeding, I sensed that she was quite resistant to
the idea of doing it.  After a few minutes she burst into tears and told me
there was no way she would ever breastfeed again because she felt that's
why her first child (3 years previously) had died.  Evidently, she was
quite young, had no help or support system then.  She lived in a shelter
for the homeless in a big midwestern city at the time, and was afraid of
everyone there.  Her baby had died at 3.5 weeks due to dehydration.  I
tried to affirm her fears and let her know that I understood why she would
be so resistant to breastfeeding again.  After she left, I remember crying
for awhile in the employee's restroom.  I didn't see her again, as she
didn't breastfeed.  Fast forward to about 2 months ago, when she came in
pregnant for the third time.   We talked awhile, and even though she was
still cautious, she said that she had talked about this with her baby's
father, and he felt it would be good if she would "try" to breastfeed.
Unfortunately, this man died during her pregnancy.  I tried to reach her by
phone late in her pregnancy, as I usually do, but her phone had been
disconnected.  I mailed information and forms to her, but they came back as
undeliverable.  I figured she had moved and I'd never hear what became of
her.  I know you all can imagine my face today when she came for her
postpartum visit, with a 2 week old baby boy, breastfeeding as she was
walking down the hall! The new baby  was already a pound over his
birthweight, and has NEVER had anything but her milk!!  I was so thrilled
for her!  She seemed like a totally different person this time; really
empowered, and truly happy.  She said what helped her not be afraid was to
know that her baby's dad wanted her to do this. More good news:  where she
moved to is about 2 blocks away from my house. It was such a pleasure, and
I just wanted to share this with 2500 of my closest friends!  It made me
remember why I do this job!
Jenny Morris, in Charleston, WV, where it's cold this evening, but my heart
is very warm.