From:
Melissa Vickers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 1995 00:01:08 EDT
Hi, all. I seem to recall there being something recently here on Lactnet about a
mom who complained that one breast makes milk that smells bad? (Did I dream
this? Nah, that implies I actually get off this thing and go to bed at
night....)

I got a call tonight about a mom with a similar problem: She has a 4 week old
baby and notices that her breast pad on the left side smells sour (right side
okay) and has been all along, apparently. Today baby spit up right after nursing
and the spit-up smells sour, just like the pad.

I tried to go back through the digests and look at just the topic lists to see
if I could find something on this but didn't see anything. Unfortunately the
call came AFTER I spent an hour deleting files/digests right and left to free up
enough room on the hard drive to download the new digests!!

Another reminder--it would be SO helpful to give a descriptive subject heading
for the posts on here. That way we could just look at the topic list to see what
was covered in that digest.

Any suggestions about this mom would be appreciated. Do I remember right that
cancer will sometimes alter the taste of the breastmilk? I certainly don't want
to raise this as a possibility unless it IS a possibility--in which case she
will be referred to a doctor (which would not be a bad idea regardless).

Thanks in advance!
Melissa Vickers, IBCLC