Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:19:28 EDT
Jean writes:

<<Karin, I would have chosen A, mainly because ALL nipple pain  needs to
evaluated.  Certainly in my practice 99% of nipple pain I  see is due
primarily to incorrect latch>>

However, the question wasn't about evaluating nipple pain.  The  question
was about something that all mothers experience with incorrect  positioning
(not even incorrect latch -- and I would submit that you can have a  great
latch with the baby on his back -- terrible positioning).

I will also tell you that the reason that it is offered up as a sample
question is because it was one that was thrown out of the question bank.   If
it had been a great question, it would still be in the question bank.

So for all the reasons we are arguing about whether the answer is A or  D
(and I felt D was more appropriate than A), that's the reason the IBLCE
dumped  the question out of the bank.

I have a fabulous picture that I use in my lecture on painful nipples  --
it's one of my moms (and I have permission to use the photo):  third  time
mom, baby flat on his back with his head screwed over to face the breast,
little teeny bird-like mouth on the nipple, baby's hand up between the baby and
 the breast.  It is a CLASSIC picture of awful positioning and latch.   Mom
didn't have one iota of pain.  You can see that the baby is a little
skinny, so he wasn't getting as much milk as he should have been, but she didn't
have any pain!

Jean -- I do agree with you that all nipple pain must be evaluated --  and
treated over the phone.  But I would evaluate red, excoriated nipples,  a
compression stripe, and whatever the other one was as well.  Not all  nipple
pain is due to incorrect latch/positioning, and not all incorrect
latch/positioning results in nipple pain.

Bottom line:  terrible question.

As a writer of more questions and more exams than I care to think about
(for our course, for our practice exam book, etc etc), and as one who has
taken  the IBLCE exam 4 times, and helped write it once, I will say that there
are  occasions when a question and it's answers make PERFECT sense to the
writer at  the time the question is being written.  It is only when someone
questions  it, and you have to re-think it that you realize that perhaps it
wasn't such a  good question after all.  There are no perfect exams, and no
perfect exam  committees, and no perfect exam writers.  The IBLCE exam is one
of the best  written exams I know of, and they have psychometricians who help
them keep the  exam fair, honest, and NOT tricky.

There is a reason that a certain number of questions are eliminated  each
year.  That's because even with a large committee writing the  questions,
they aren't perfect, and it takes the cohort who is taking the exam  to help
them realize it.  The banner year (not the year I helped write the  exam, I'll
have you know) is the year they eliminated 22 questions!!  Last  year I
think it was 6.  I promise you, there will be questions in which you  hate all
the responses.  Pick the one you think is the best -- and write a  "whine"
about it.  (No cheese with that whine, though).

Good luck to everyone.  You are all gonna do great!

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCA
Lactation Education  Consultants
_www.lactationeducation.com_ (http://www.lactationeducation.com/)
**************A bad credit score is 600 & below. Checking won't affect your