From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2008 22:07:39 -0700
Go to our webpage: http://cdph.ca.gov/Breastfeeding and then link to the
"going back to work or school" webpage.  You can see information for
employers including:

American Institute of <http://www.aia.org/>  Architects, that collects and
disseminates Best Practices as a service to its members:

.  Lactation Room Design
<http://soloso.aia.org/eKnowledge/Resources/AIAP037226?dvid=4294965281&recsp
ec=215b64d69046dea9cf81553763cecc92> , published in February, 2008 and
states:
"Mothers returning to the workplace after childbirth are incredibly driven
to provide for their new babies but also to be productive members of the
workforce. Companies that provide lactation rooms in the workplace help
these employees achieve both of these goals. Following the design guidelines
given here will yield a lactation room that is easy to use and offers
comfort and respect to mothers."

I also have some pictures of the lactation rooms in the California
Department of Public Health offices and the Solano County Health and Social
Services rooms - write to me for copies.

Some moms are going to breastfeed and some to pump?  If so, the types of
chairs are different, as usually the moms who pump want to sit up straighter
than those that breastfeed.  We have a sink and refrigerator, though that is
not required by our California Lactation Accommodation Law.

Some nice additions include bulletin boards for pictures, shelves for
clocks, radios, flowers, tables and plenty of power connections that are
easily accessible (a power strip near the table rather than on the floor
behind the furniture).  I also leave note-paper so moms can write each other
messages, and leave my business card and some books, etc.

Jeanette Panchula

California, USA