From:
Ros Escott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 20:41:51 +0000
Now if all the hospitals went Baby Friendly and the babies were
rooming in around the clock, the nurseries could all be closed.
Then, get rid of ready-to-feeds and require the mothers who want to
use bottles to learn the skill (under supervision while still in
hospital) of making up EACH and EVERY bottle for their babies,
including at night. This would go a long way to changing the dynamics
of nocturnal supplementation and the dilemmas of night nurses.

A dream?  Not at my local hospital (going for BFHI assessment in
September). Recently a TV crew visited the hospital to update their
archive file footage of babies in a nursery.  They were very
surprised to discover there is no longer a nursery to be filmed.

Ros Escott
Tasmania, Australia
Twelve years ago, confused by all the conflicting information on
breastfeeding, the best advice I got in hospital was from a night
nurse who suggested I tune into my baby and follow his cues.