From:
JP Bonner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 23:31:11 -0500
I am looking for ideas for a mom who has a child that she has NEVER
gotten to take the breast but has diligently continued to pump and feed
for a year.  She would like to try once more to get the child to breast.
Here is her info.  Please email me anything you can think, she is really
determined and I am hoping to help her!

She worked with an IBCLC in the beginning in hospital - extended stay
to nine days in an effort to get him to breast, with zero success. She
kept trying at home - skin-skin, lying down with him, nipple shields,
jerry-rigged supply line (we didn't push that as she had
an abundant supply anyway - it was latch that was the issue), every
position in the book, pumping for a let-down first. Bottle feeding him in
position until sleepy, then switching. Trying to latch him on while he's
half
asleep, while he's hungry, while he's not hungry.

At six weeks She was re-admitted under her LC for intensive work for a
full day - nothing. HE had reflux but by then his reflux was
successfully treated, but he was still very breast-aversive.

He was born by planned C section at 38+5 because of my pregnancy
complications, and was very flat at birth + meconium so he was
resuscitated and suctioned. She first tried him at breast within two
hours of his birth despite his rocky
start, and at every single feed after that. But he did seem to have some
oral issues all along - with a slow flow bottle he would still gag and
have some difficulty feeding, and his solids were a very slow start (he
still gags on some textures now at 12 and a half months). She tried every
bottle nipple under the sun, settling on the orthodontic one (Nuk, and
later Pur, which we still use).  He could never drink from an Avent
nipple
- immediate gag and spit every single time. He never latched long enough
for any overactive letdown issues, so I don't think it was that.

At five months she (mom) became seriously ill (traumatic hiatus hernia
from
pregnancy vomiting, and a twisted stomach on top of that) and was
admitted for major surgery. So she kept pumping but stopped offering for
several months while her large upper abdominal incision healed.

She continues to try and he sometimes seems interested in the breast but
not to suck.  If he's lying down or she tries to ease him into
any "breastfeeding" positions, he screams and squirms away.

Baths don't work for him - he still hates being in water.