From:
Amy Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:19:53 -0600
I am a third year nursing student at The University of North Dakota, and as a prospective OB nurse, and a very strong supporter of breastfeeding I wanted to know more about how to approach and attempt to persuade women who opt to bottle feed.  I found that in the last century breastfeeding rates have declined from 90% to a mere 47% (Gaynor, 2003). I understand that human milk is the perfect food for babies (Finch, 2002, p. 981) and find it difficult to understand why someone who is able to breastfeed would resist.  Many mothers look to healthcare professionals for advice, so it is imperative for us to be knowledgeable (Dobson, 2001). I have been taught about the many psychological, immunological, physical, economical, and environmental benefits of breastfeeding, but can guess that even an extensive list would not convince some mothers. In a study performed by the American Dietetic Association they found that intervention had significant positive influence on breastfeeding at
titudes and perceptions as well as on exclusive breastfeeding initiation and duration (Finch, 2002). Therefore my question is, what are some strategies for talking to a mother who has decided not to breastfeed without sounding too pushy?

Dobson, B. & Murtaugh, M., (2001). Position of the American dietetic association:
 breaking the barriers to breastfeeding. Journal of the American Dietetic
 Association, (101), 1213-1221.

Gaynor, G., (2003). Breastfeeding advocacy. Maine Nurse, 5(2), 13.

Finch, C. & Daniel, E., Breastfeeding education program with incentives increases
 exclusive breastfeeding among urban WIC participants. Journal of the American
 Dietetic Association, (102), 981-985.