From:
"Suzanne Berman, M.D., FAAP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:59:53 -0500
Amy, this is a situation when a good doctor in charge writing strict orders
is helpful!  Obviously, there's been lots of discussion about docs writing
bad orders/banning LCs, but here's a good opportunity to use your physician
"power" for good.

Our diet order for breastfeeding babies clearly state, "No glucose water,
formula, or pacifiers."  This is a diet ORDER, not a diet SUGGESTION.  If
mom is asking for supplements, nurses need to explain why healthy babies
really don't need formula, and/or at least notify you that mom is having
doubts.

Nurses would be horrified if we made a surgery patient NPO, and someone fed
the patient a steak, or wrote an order for diabetic diet and someone brought
the kid a Coke slushie.  They need to view "breast milk ONLY" diet order in
the same vein.

Suzanne

Suzanne Berman, M.D., FAAP
Plateau Pediatrics