From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 1995 02:20:03 EDT
There have been a couple of posts that seem to be suggesting that because we
can't define a physical cause for a lack of milk production in a particular
mother that perhaps it's psychological.  I have a real problem with this
attitude.  Of course I've seen mothers who "didn't have enough milk" because
their lifestyle or ambivalence about breastfeeding got in the way of putting
baby to breast frequently enough.  But I *really* don't believe that a mother
like the one I posted about the last few weeks--who was nursing q2-3 hours,
never experienced significant engorgement and never produced more than about 3
oz/24 hrs even when pumping--has a low milk supply due to psychological problems
or a lack of confidence.

Kathleen Auerbach wrote an editorial for JHL back in 1987 that I have always
liked titled "Blaming the Victim."  It speaks to other issues than this, but I
think the idea applies.  It seems grossly unfair to blame breastfeeding women
for their own failure just because we don't have an answer for why the milk
isn't there.

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC