From:
Doraine Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 10:17:23 PDT
Hello lactation in the NICU experts.

I'm looking for studies, case reports, etc. on NICU babies and their
breastfeeding outcomes.  Colleagues at our NICU note that lots of their
babies have a hard time going to breast after months of tube or bottle
feeding (even with human milk and mom pumping to maintain supply).
Because we serve a large geographic area, sometimes parents only visit
their NICU baby 1x/week.  Many moms are willing to continue pumping and
bottlefeeding, even if baby won't go to breast, but private and public
insurance won't pay for this.  I need:
1)  Techniques for getting such babies to breast (including approximate
time frame for accomplishing the task).  Both in-patient and out-patient
techniques would be useful.
2)  Equipment/supplies for technique.
3)  Justification for continued, out-patient breast pump use for baby
who is not nursing well.
4)  Follow-up protocols.

Thanks in advance!

Doraine Bailey
Breastfeeding Support Services,
Lexington-Fayette County Health Department