From:
"John D. Colbath" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 1997 08:59:21 -0700
First ,let me introduce myself.My name is Lynne Colbath,I am a OBS RN for
the past 12years,teach breastfeeding class and do  post partum home
visits.I work in a small hospital(250 births per year)in North
Conway,N.H.I received my IBCLC last year and slowly gaining recognition
in the medical community.I have three great children, whom were
breastfed.I have been reading all of your posts for the past two years
and cant tell how much I have learned.Well its time to come out of the
closet and share this information that I  found in the Wellstart
Newsletter,Spring 95:
     <<A mother called the breastfeeding helpline complaining of nausea
that occurred with every breastfeeding session and lasted for the
duration of the feeding.The clinitions theorized that the symptoms may be
similar to the "dumping syndrome",caused by an increased gastrin
secretion by the mother.Gastrin is a polypeptide hormone that promotes
the secretion of gastric acid and pepsin. This in turn triggers a
decrease in the normal gastrointestional emptying.Food is passed more
quickly.Symptoms are similar to low blood sugar : nausea,
headache,hunger,etc.Treatment includes eating a complex carbohydrate
snack such as bread,during the breastfeeding session. >>
       I check with the moms to see how well they have been eating and
stress a well balanced diet with nutritional snacks.Hope this helps.
       Lynne