From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 20:20:33 -0800
The previous post sent itself while I was still working on it. Here is the final version:

Dear American Medical Student Association:

Regarding your breastfeeding powerpoint presentation, by Bach-Mai “Katherine” Vu and Katie Hecksel
AMSA Women in Medicine, August Monthly Focus (www.amsa.org/women/Breastfeeding.ppt).

I would like to call your attention to the slide which states,

     "Women who are unable or choose not to breastfeed can still be wonderful mothers.  Breastfeeding advocates must be careful not
to alienate or judge such women."

     "That said, breastfeeding is a broadly beneficial practice. It should be encouraged whenever possible and safe, and made a more
practical and desirable practice for women everywhere."

     "Advocacy must be supplemented with empowerment.  Understanding and addressing challenges for breastfeeding women at home,
work, and in society can increase the numbers of women comfortably breastfeeding."

I appreciate the slide overall but the first sentence is disturbing. After all, it actually suggests the opposite from what it
purports to say. For example, what if we said, “Mothers of disabled children can still be wonderful mothers.” I don’t believe anyone
actually suggested that they could NOT be wonderful mothers. And what about that “still...” which means “in spite of”?

In addition, it suggests that breastfeeding advocates alienate these mothers, and I have not known this to be the case. Given that
humans as a whole are imperfect and everyone of every possible opinion has their rough spots, there is no reason to particularly
select breastfeeding advocates as being particular partial to alienating others. On the contrary, their calling requires them, as
much as it does counselors and ministers, to do the opposite, and find open doors through which to reach every person needing help.
Again, your text has the unfortunate effect of saying the opposite of what it purports to say.

I would replace the entire first point with something like the following:

“Almost all women choose to breastfeed, but many health care professionals lack the education, experience, and time to support them
through the learning process. For this and other reasons, most women in the U.S. wean prematurely, according to the US Surgeon
General and US Department of Health and Human Services. Many women will grieve or feel regret over this unnecessary loss, although
it should not present a barrier to enjoying their babies."

Yours,
Arly Helm, MS, IBCLC