From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:45:54 EST
In a message dated 2/21/1 4:51:09 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< I vote for cow milk formula and soy formula.  Short, simple.  People know

what the heck you are talking about,  and you've spared them the character

assassination. >>

Barbara,
I have been using the term AIM b/c the term "formula" implies the norm. In
and of itself, it suggests nothing of concern to the avarage person who is
both desensitized to the term and actually even comforted by it (created by
modern science and all). But, I never use the phrase when talking to a client
I have just met or someone who has been using AIM, b/c, well, it is useless
at best and just plain mean at worst.
    I think your point is well taken. I want to use a term which reflects the
truth, but doesn't alienate mothers. Cow's milk formula and soy formula do
this. But, my concerns are that it's just too easy to shorten to that old
familiar standby--formula. Also, (sorry Kathleen), so long as cow's milk is
considered an essential food to human children (we may not consider it to be,
but the avg parent does), I am not sure that cow's milk formula sounds as
threatening as it is. If the avg parent considers transitioning to cow's milk
to be a normal part of childhood, what is the big deal about transitioning
from cow's milk formula instead of breastmilk. And I do very much agree that
we need to stop referring to our own milk as breastmilk. It isn't the milk of
the breast, it is the milk of human beings. All other milks are referred to
as the milk of that animal. By calling it breastmilk, we are implying that it
is the alternative to the bottle (again, the norm). Maybe if the choice is
between human milk (rather than breastmilk) and cow's milk formula, the
message would be more clear.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA