Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 16:59:13 -0500
> However funny, the other humor worries me a bit. How many women that
>really could benefit from this screening,  are we scaring off because
>they truly are worried that it will feel like a van running over their
>breasts?
> Although not "comfortable" a mammogram done by a skilled technologist
>should not be painful.

Mary, I thought about what you have mentioned when I considered posting
this.  I thought about it the first time I read it too, as I know of women
who don't get mammograms because they have heard that it hurts.

However those same women go to the dentist and one of them has electrolosis
for unwanted hair. Perhaps the reason for not getting a mammogram is not
always what it is reported to be. Many women don't do self exam either,
even though it doesn't hurt.

I'm sorry if my posting the piece will cause grief to anyone who is working
hard to promote breast care.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee

mailto:[log in to unmask]