From:
Nancy Mohrbacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 09:22:54 -0600
A month or so ago during a thread on "sunlight and jaundice" someone suggested asking Dr.
Gartner for a perspective on this.  I had the chance to do this at the Academy of
Breastfeeding Medicine a few weeks ago.  I reminded Dr. Gartner that we had removed this
"treatment option" from the new Breastfeeding Answer Book at his recommendation and told
him that many Lactnetters were still recommending this to mothers with jaundiced babies and
wondering why this change had occurred and whether it was still a good idea.

Dr Gartner acknowledged that the bililights treatment originated from the observation that
babies in the nursery that were closer to the windows were less jaundiced than those
further away from the windows.  But he said no research has been done to determine
precisely how much of an effect indirect sunlight has on newborn jaundice.  In his opinion,
the effect would be minimal.  He said that the danger with recommending indirect sunlight
is that *effective* treatment may be delayed because the mother believes that she is doing
something to treat the jaundice.

Dr. Gartner now acts as a consultant in legal cases in which babies who developed
kernicterus died or developed severe lifelong disabilities.  He said he finds it amazing
when he reads their case histories how many of these babies, although obviously severely
jaundiced as newborns, did not have their bilirubin levels tested until it was too late.
In many of these cases, he said, mothers' use of indirect sunlight delayed appropriate
treatment.

Hope this helps,

Nancy Mohrbacher, IBCLC
Chicago suburbs, Illlinois USA