From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:16:41 -0800
>.Quencher is little more than water to whet the palette. Formilk is the
salad starter, and Hindmilk is what baby really needs. If baby feeds only
from Quencher and Foremilk then this signals the brain to only make that
kind of milk, not the good stuff (hindmilk). This causes a reduction in
supply which leads to a trip to the doctor's, who prescribes formula....<<

This reminds me so much of Gary Ezzo and how he tried, in his lack of
expertise, to fit similar lactation information into his own view of the
world of breastfeeding and parenting. I wish we could bring lawsuits against
publishers who have not checked the accuracy of the [detrimental]
information their authors are putting out.

In all seriousness, there does seem to be some ego involved with both
parties. Here's the rub: Such people often have strong, charismatic
personalities that draw others in. They are so self-confident and
self-assured that they convey great authority, which fits exactly into that
insecure spot in new parents, who are feeling very unsure of themselves. It
is this part that angers me, because in the end, needy parents and their
babies are in many ways being exploited for the sake of the ego of those who
need to be "right" and receive lots of publicity and attention.

Lisa Marasco