From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:26:18 -0800
 Since attending Rebecca Glover's sessions at the ILCA and BALA Conferences
and seeing her video many times, I've become more aware of the position of
the babies chins in relation to their chest.  She describes it as the
position your own chin is when you are drinking a glass of water - it should
be up and away from the chest.

It's funny...when I was a La Leche League Leader and observing babies in
meetings, I'd see how babies' heads "bopped" while they were nursing - you
saw the head move with each suckle, especially during let-downs.  I wasn't
there to "fix" anything, so it was just my observation.

Now that I'm helping moms who are having problems, I notice that if the chin
is not away from the chest, that "bopping" happens as the baby moves the
head during the jaw excursions.  It was also at this time when you would
hear the most clicking.  When the baby is positioned so that the chin is
away from the chest, the "bopping" doesn't happen, as the chin has space to
move, and less clicking was heard.

Another thing I've noticed is that when babies are positioned in this way
(Rebecca talks about putting the shoulder at the cleavage to baby goes UP to
the breast as you see them when they are self-attaching - like in the
Self-Attachment video I also use a lot) that  babies seem more capable of
handling the stong let-downs.  Kind of like when you put a bottle (am I
going to confess today?) of Coke as a kid and tried to "glug" it then
...well, you know what happens when you take a lot of carbonated
beverages...

By the way - I have NO INTEREST in the sale or distribution of any of the
aforementioned items, but as a member of ILCA I DO encourage attending ILCA
Conferences...

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
California