From:
Talmadge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 20:15:00 CST
Over the holidays, Jan Barger posted a question which I don't recall seeing
an answer to.  I've encountered the same problem several times and wonder if
there are any reasonable solutions.  Basically, some mothers with severe
cases of mastitis notice a reduced supply in the affected breast, which
seems to continue even after the mastitis resolves.  I am currently working
with a mother and we are using frequent stimulation from the baby or
electric pump, massage, and fenugreed seed tea (4 cups per day).  When this
mother pumps, she is only able to get 1/2 oz. of milk.  Is there anything
else we can do to increase the supply on that breast?  I believe this mom
was suffering from plugged ducts (due to an improperly fitted bra) for
almost 2 weeks before she actually came down with mastitis and sought help
from me.  Baby is just 3 weeks old.

Thanks for your help!
Janet Talmadge, IBCLC, LLL Leader
Naperville, IL