From:
Royce Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2006 19:15:09 -0500
Thank you Ellen Penchuk for the INTERESTING information re: BRF from
imagines!  You said, "I laughed, I cried"......I could only laugh; I could
NOT believe what they were saying.  I did send them a little e-mail and tell
them that they needed a "reputable IBCLC" or a BRF friendly ped ie: Jack N.
to peruse and revise all the garbage they had written! And I asked if it may
have been written by their formula sponsor? Good ol' Enfamil was right at
the bottom of the page.

Their article states, "Studies have shown that breast-feeding MAY help
protect against infant ear infections, allergies, diarrhea, eczema,
bacterial meningitis, and other serious illnesses." It MAY help?????

"Infant problems that may complicate or prevent breast-feeding include:
Digestive problems such as breast milk jaundice (a liver disease caused by a
mother's breast milk)" Breast milk jaundice is a LIVER DISEASE?????

"Women who are HIV positive, have AIDS, have heart disease, are
malnutritioned, or have untreated tuberculosis may be recommended not to
breast-feed".  WOMEN WITH HEART DISEASE SHOULD NOT BRF???? And where in the
world did they come up with the word "malnutritioned?"

We all need to be very careful to inform our clients to be aware that "The
milk overflows from the breast glands and engorges the breasts". Can't you
just see all those little bits of milk jumping out of the "breast glands" to
"engorge" the breast tissue?"

"Approximately 10% of women with mastitis develop abscesses in the infected
breast area".  Isn't that a tad high?

"Rarely, a baby's receding chin or a short frenulum in the baby's mouth
causes sore nipples". And the confusion continues.

I don't understand how so many inaccuracies can be in this one article of
information..........unless, of course, I was correct in assuming that the
ABM sponsors had something to do with it!

You can e-mail them, I accidentally found it by going to discussions and
then to feedback.  Somebody or several some bodies really need to set these
people straight.

Blessings,

Royce Anderson