Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 07:08:16 -0500
>I believe I have seen this topic here before, but two mothers asked me
this week about peanuts, pregnancy, breastfeeding, and allergies.  I think
they said they had seen something on TV.  Other than the caution about
known allergies in the family, and moderation in foods, I really did not
know if there was new information/evidence for avoiding peanuts.  Comments?

The warning was that if a mother is allergic to peanuts and she consumes
them she could pass the sensitivity to her infant through her breastmilk,
endangering him/her. Of course, we know that if Mom is allergic to peanuts
and consumes them there are much greater concerns than passing a
sensitivity to her baby--such as her own severe reaction.

The U.S. TV news presented it as a caution for a breastfeeding mother's
eating peanuts...period. I have had a number of mothers ask me about it.
When I point out to them the recklessness and consequence of a woman eating
peanuts when she is allergic to them, they see the more balanced story.

Transferring allergic response during pregnancy and lactation is a concern.
I believe that the healthy way to address it is for a woman to be attuned
to her body's response to the foods she eats and to eliminate them if she
has reactions to them--both for her own health and that of her infant.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]