From:
Cathy Loughman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:20:50 -0800
I too would love to find an article but this time one that addresses tub baths compared to sponge baths.
Many of the nurses in our L&D were taught to spongebathe the infants under the warmer but I know that that just increases stress and often makes the infants colder.  I have been trying to get them to switch to a little tub bath and then a short trip to the warmer to dry off and then across to mom for some more skin-to-skin care and nursing.

I did read a very good article a few years ago in a magazine at work and so it must have been Maternal Child Health or an AWHON magazine but I cannot find it again.  I can't believe I let it slip out of my hands.

I am currently giving 4 hour classes to all of our nurses in L&D, Post partum, NICU and Pedi.  It is a big undertaking and part of my focus is on current practices that interfere with BF success and how each unit can make changes to their practice to help promote BF success. It helps that I have worked in all 4 areas during my lengthy nursing career so I can really understand how these changes can be introduced and made to work.

Also I have been so grateful for everyones posts and for the archives -- I found great links to articles that help me put the case for cue-led feedings, skin to skin care, how to help mothers and staff to visualize what is going on when the milk is being produced.  Thank you all.

Cathy

The nurses love bathing the babies - afew hours after birth - and seem immune to their cries.