Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2012 09:34:48 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
I am actually suspicious of this whole probiotics thing for formula.  I would love to see any REAL research that supports this that is not ethically challenged.  Like offering a procedure that saves lives to only part of the population and see how long someone can survive without.  Sounds Nazi-like.  Until we recognize as a society that breastfeeding or not breastfeeding is not a matter of choice (as if what you choose doesn't really matter) we will not approach breastfeeding research in a manner that garners best information. IMHO. If you look as breast milk as the ultimate probiotic, makes you even wonder why we give breastfed babies ANY probiotic that isn't mother's own milk.  And seems to me that ALL mothers should give their babies their own milk first, if any at all can be obtained and research should be directed at ALL mothers unless they have mastectomies, to obtain colostrum at least for their babies because there is no REAL substitute for mother's own probiotics!  And please spend some money on basic research all you companies that want to make money from mothers buying your "breastfeeding friendly" products so what you sell will ACTUALLY WORK and not just be an additional bell and whistle marketing gimmick!

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lisa Paul

Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:47 PM

Subject: formula prep and probiotics

Because of the wonderful sharing of this group, I am aware that WHO standards for formula preparation involve heating the water to make the non-sterile formula safe.  Today it occurred to me that this practice would kill any probiotics in the formula.  I know one brand says on their website not to heat up past 100F to get the benefits of the probiotic.  

Do the good bacteria in breastmilk help to contradict the non-sterile state of powder formula?  If a mom were to add breastmilk to a bottle of formula prepared with cool water, does that help?  Are the probiotics more of a marketing gimick?  (I am a believer of probiotics for adults, I am thinking it could help infants too? But is there any evidence that it does?)

In my past, I have completely ignored formula, but it is now a part of my job to issue formula.  I think it has a time and a place, and want to get the most evidenced-based info - yet I am finding the internet to be full  of slick marketing and am confused about fact vs fiction.

Where does a breastfeeding advocate get non-biased info on formula?  

Thank you!

Lisa Paul

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2